May 10, 2010

Kill Your Television ...


Back in the 20th Century, I had this shirt that I wore almost every time I went to the public schools.

"Why?", you ask.

Simple ... it started conversations like no other t-shirt I have ever owned before or since.  And these were not short, ten second sound-byte conversations.  These were not, "So, how is school going?" kind of conversations.  These were the real deal.  They were honest, reflective conversations with teens that often had significant emotion wrapped up in the dialogue.

Let me tell you what the three words on the t-shirt were (in case you haven't guessed from the title of this posting):

kill
your
television

Three words that got everyone talking.

In the 21st Century, the shirt might says, "Kill Your Cell" or maybe "Kill Your Computer", but I'm not sure it would get such a deep reaction.  There is something about TV.

Check this out:


Television is a drug. from Beth Fulton on Vimeo.

In the past people have said, "Time is Money".  In some places and for some moments, this might be true, but there is a greater truth that is overshadowed by this statement:

"Time is Limited"  

How you and I spend our time tells a story about our souls.  What we give our focused time to can leave a legacy or vaporize like mist.

The clock is ticking ... what is directly in front of you?

.

No comments: