March 17, 2010

When the Church was Young ... part one

"The Church is the only society that exists for the benefit of those who are not its members." 
- William Temple (Archbishop of Canterbury, 1942-44)

Right now in the Sunday evening gatherings at the church my family is a part of, my friend Paul is teaching / preaching through the Bible book called, Acts.  It's been a great journey so far.  It's a book about the very first church communities working out their identity, their mission, and the role of the Holy Spirit in it all.

We're just three weeks into what is sure to take a good part of the year, but even now as the journey begins, my mind and soul have been spinning as I am reminded of some fantastic truth.  Stuff like:

"On one occasion, while [Jesus] was eating with them ..."
* I was reminded that Jesus, after being resurrected from the dead, was not some ghost.  He was resurrected as a human being again.  Granted, he could move through walls and appear and disappear, but he also ate. I don't understand this at all, but am so intrigued by it.  At the core, Jesus was a deep friend and leader to his disciples and followers.  He could have been so many other places declaring the good news of God's salvation, but the guy is hanging out with his friends, encouraging and teaching and speaking into their lives. So good!

"For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
* God's Kingdom is a supernatural one.  Everything is seeded, born, and sustain by God.  If the Church tries to function our of physical strength and an understanding of the world based on mere human paradigms, the Church will miss the point ...

" ...  and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." 
* I love that I get to be a witness to the things that the Lord has done and is doing here in Parksville, at the end of the earth.  I live at the end of the Western World.  No less than two hours to the west and there is no more west!  After Tofino there is only Asia and "The East".  So cool!!

With all of this spinning in my mind, I was caught by this video and the way that it aligns with what I'm learning ... check it out and tell me what you think ...

No comments: